If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (310) 637-7701

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Mold in Schools and Workplace

6/11/2019 (Permalink)

Besides damages that moisture can cause to the building itself, the eventual growth of mold indoors in commercial building and schools are of serious concern. 

It can be a cause of excessive absenteeism for individuals with pre-existing health condition.

If inside your office building or workplace, or your child's classroom high moisture is present, then it makes sense to encourage the facility manager to find solutions to control the indoor moisture.

In many cases a hidden or obvious leak inside walls is the reason of high indoor moisture. 

Ideal indoor moisture for indoor quality air is between 40% and 50%.

When moisture is high, mold growth can occur. Which becomes a problem in workplace and schools.  

Molds gradually destroy the things they grow on. By controlling moisture and eliminating mold growth you can:

  • Prevent damage to building materials and furnishings
  • Save money
  • Avoid potential health risks

Molds can be found almost anywhere, they can grow on virtually any organic substance, as long as moisture and oxygen are present.

There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, foods, and insulation. When excessive moisture accumulates in buildings or on building materials, mold growth will often occur, particularly if the moisture problem remains undiscovered or unaddressed.

 It is impossible to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment. However, mold growth can be controlled indoors by controlling moisture indoors.

Since mold requires water to grow, it is important to prevent moisture problems in buildings.

Moisture problems can have many causes, including uncontrolled humidity. Some moisture problems in buildings have been linked to changes in building construction practices during the 1970s, 80s and 90s.

Some of these changes have resulted in buildings that are tightly sealed, but may lack adequate ventilation, potentially leading to moisture buildup. Building materials, such as drywall, may not allow moisture to escape easily. Moisture problems may include:

  • Roof leaks
  • Landscaping or gutters that direct water into or under the building
  • Unvented combustion appliances
  • Delayed maintenance or insufficient maintenance are also associated with moisture problems in schools and large buildings

When mold growth occurs in buildings, adverse health problems may be reported by some building occupants, particularly those with allergies or respiratory problems.

Remediators should avoid exposing themselves and others to mold-laden dusts as they conduct their cleanup activities. Caution should be used to prevent mold and mold spores from being dispersed throughout the air where they can be inhaled by building occupants.

If you suspect that you have a MOLD issue in your school/commercial facility, please call SERVPRO of Carson/ West Carson (310)637-7700 to schedule a mold mitigation walk through with one of our trained certified technicians.

Other News

View Recent Posts