Recent Fire Damage Posts
Fire Damage Experts in the Harbor Area
Fire Damage Services 24/7
Recently, SERVPRO of Carson/West Carson was called out to help restore a commercial facility that was affected from a small fire in the break room. The sprinkler system had set off due to the fire, causing more damage to the facility.
Usually, due to the way a fire is distinguished, we always treat fire & water damage when these incidents occur. Our team is specially trained in these area's to help assess and make it,
"Like it never even happened."
We have specialized equipment to be sufficient and move forward with the restoration process, without any hiccups. We can help with soot damage, smoke damage, and content restoration and cleaning. Here at SERVPRO of Carson/West Carson, we do it all. We're a one stop shop. We offer reconstruction services to make life easier by working with one company to help you get back to normal living.
24/7 Fire Damage Experts
If you have any questions or want to schedule an inspection with one of our certified technicians, Please give us a call at (310) 637-7701
What to Expect After a Home Fire?
Fire Damage Cleanup
After an unfortunate fire to your property, your life can change drastically. Knowing where to begin and who to reach out for help is very important. You may have some personal belongings that may not look damaged. What you need to realize is, smoke can damage contents, and water can damage the structure if not treated properly.
What to Expect
A fire to your home can cause a significant amount of damages to the structure and personal belongings. We are talking about fire, smoke, heat, and water damage that may be taking place in this type of situation. Anything you'd like to save or reuse will need to be carefully cleaned. It's best to hire a restoration company like SERVPRO of Carson/West Carson to help in these type of situations. We're a one stop shop that helps with the mitigation and reconstruction.
What do I do now?
Contacting your local insurance Agent would be a smart thing to do. They can be extremely helpful with the claim process and refer you to a great restoration company like SERVPRO of Carson/West Carson, who has a great track record of helping countless homeowners with water & fire damage situations. Our track record of results has earned us the trust of most major insurance carriers. We are the preferred vendor for Fire/Water/Mold damage situations.
If you are someone or know someone who's suffered from fire damage, give us a call at (310)637-7701 for any questions. We would love to help you get back to normalcy and get your property back to pre loss condition.
Post Fire Hazards & Clean Up
The post fire steps are just as important as what happens before and during a fire emergency. As overwhelming as it may be, it is during these moments in which one must be on highest alert and ready for anything unexpected. The smoke and fire damages caused to the home or business are hazardous to be around. Those with pre existing medical conditions, expecting mothers, or small children should stay away from the affected areas at all times. The clean up and restoration portion is what will follow after such an event.
SERVPRO of Carson/West Carson deals with these kinds of emergencies on a daily basis. We handle all the trouble of the insurance process, scheduling, and the clean up itself. We understand how stressful it may be to deal with such an unfortunate event, which is why the experts here at SERVPRO are there with you every step of the way. Our Highly trained technicians will first make contact with you then proceed with the following steps: Inspect & assess fire damage, board up and tarp service (if needed), surface smoke and soot removal, cleaning & repair, & a final cleaning of areas.
For further information on our services or for any questions, comments, or concerns you may have, we can be reached at our office at (310)637-7701 or visit us on our website at SERVPROcarsonwestcarson.com.
Fire Prevention Inspection
There are many ways to prevent the possibility of a fire outbreak. Not only would you save time & money while preventing a disastrous fire, but you would also gain the knowledge needed to show others how to prevent one as well. Staying informed about how or why fires occur could be the bridge between life & death. There should always be some sort of emergency readiness plan in place for every home or business for the very reason of preventing fatal outcomes or at the very least, minimizing death at all possible costs. The list provided are just a few of the ways you can help prevent a fire, as always, one should do their own research and prepare a plan that best suits each home or business.
- Cooking/Grilling when in use should never be left unattended
- Distance any & all flammable objects from a fire source (at least 3 ft away)
- Smoking should be done outdoors and in an open area
- Fire starters such as matches or lighters should be securely stored away from small children to prevent accidental damages
- Test & inspect all smoke alarms
The list details just a few of the steps you can take towards fire prevention. As always, each person is encouraged to do their own research and create a plan that best fits each situation. The best approach to a fire emergency is to have a plan in place for that specific situation. If in the event of a fire loss, SERVPRO of Carson/West Carson is ready 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to be the first on site for the clean up & restoration process. For any comments, questions, or concerns you may have, feel free to call us at (310)637-7701 or visit us on our website at SERVPROcarsonwestcarson.com.
Different Fire Extinguisher Classes
Whether you’re celebrating 4th of July with Family and setting off fireworks, experimenting in the kitchen, or want to be prepared for any unexpected electrical fires; choosing the right fire extinguisher can be overlooked. SERVPRO of Carson/West Carson is happy to present some helpful fire extinguisher facts for our Harbor Area communities. While we pride ourselves in our rapid response once disaster strikes, we also prioritize preventative measures to assure your property stays protected.
Fire Extinguisher Classes
- Class A: This happens to be the most common. With this type, you’re able to put out fires in ordinary flammable materials such as cloth, wood, rubber, paper, and many plastics.
- Class B: This extinguisher targets flammable liquids. Have a family cooking event? Use this tool to put out substances such as grease, gasoline, or oil.
- Class C: Not only is it important to do maintenance checks to avoid any pipe leaks. It’s important to catch potential electrical fires. This tool will help put out appliances, tools, and other electronically powered appliances and materials.
- Class D: If you’re looking for a commercial grade extinguisher, this tool will help put out fire to metals such as magnesium, titanium, and sodium.
- Class K: Looking for a commercial grade extinguisher for your commercialized kitchen? This tool helps put out fires that are associated with vegetable oils, animal oils, and animal fats.
We hope this guide has been helpful to you. Experiencing a fire disaster?
Call us today at 310-637-7701
Levels of Fire Damage
Not all fires result in the same level of damage. Not all fire damages require the same type of restoration procedures. When you call SERVPRO of Carson/West Carson we will assess and provide an idea of the restoration services required to address each level of loss.
Three Levels of Fire Damage
- Minor Fire Damages: Only some rooms are affected from smoke residues. The amount of smoke residues is light to moderate. Restoration may involve dry cleaning, wet cleaning of ceilings, walls, floors, and contents. Few areas need to be repainted, and only minor items require replacement.
- Medium Fire Damage: The number of areas requiring repainting and items requiring replacement increase. The amount of smoke residue is moderate and more materials require wet cleaning to remove residues. Floors may need to be refinished or replaced. Heat damage to drywall, cabinets, and other contents require more materials to be replaced. Contents may require to be cleaned at the SERVPRO facility in Carson California. Smoke odor is noticeable, possibly requiring additional deodorization procedures after cleaning.
- Major Fire Damage: Possible structural repairs, structural framing and finishes may be charred. Fire and heat damage is severe near the cause of loss. Smoke odor is strong throughout the building and possibly pungent. Restoration will involve extensive cleaning of the structure, possibly requiring a pack out of all salvageable contents for an offsite cleaning, multiple methods of deodorization are needed to remove smoke odors. Possible board-up may be required to secure the property.
Firework Safety in Los Angeles
As our Independence Day approaches on July 4th, be sure to take the proper safety precautions when lighting fireworks with your family and friends.
The point is to have a great time, but also be safe when doing so. We've all had a friend or family member who's hurt themselves or someone else during the celebration of lighting off fireworks on 4th of July, this can all be avoided if taken the right safety tips.
10 Safety Tips When Lighting Fireworks This Upcoming 4th of July
- Illegal Fireworks are illegal in California for a reason. STAY AWAY ! STICK WITH THE LEGAL STUFF.
- Store fireworks away from children.
- Read the labels before using each firework, this way you know what to expect from the firework before lighting.
- Always have a fire extinguisher or the water hose ready for whatever happens.
- Soak used fireworks in a bucket of water.
- Never keep fireworks in your pocket, friction can set them off.
- Never light fireworks near a large brush area or dried up vegetation.
- Never point fireworks at another person
- Light firework and get away! Never stand near the firework after you've lit it.
- Keep you pets indoors. Loud explosions can stress your pets out causing them to run away.
Fire Damage Services in Carson CA, What to Expect
Residential and Commercial Fire, Smoke, and Soot Damages in Carson
Fire damage services is a complicated service and should be done by a professional with previous experiences. Their are multiple steps to be taken and need to be executed in a timely manner to avoid further damages and expenses.
What to Expect During the Restoration Process After the Fire
Restore vs Replacing:
SERVPRO of Carson can help restore some of your items rather than replacing. We analyze your personal belongings to determine if they're restorable. We offer itemized pack out services to ensure the safety of your personal belongings that weren't affected by the fire. We can place your belongings in a safe secure storage until restoration services are completed.
Removal of Damaged Items:
We will begin to remove all materials affected from the fire to reduce the chard smoke smell. This includes wood, drywall, carpet, blinds, etc, anything that retained smoke and cant be salvaged will be disposed. Once everything that was affected from the fire is out, we can then treat and cure the structure to industry standards.
Firefighters put out fires with water, therefore we would need to perform water damage restoration dry time to ensure that mold growth isn't an issue. You wouldn't want to deal with both fire damages and mold growth in the same year, not a pleasant experience.
Once SERVPRO has completed mitigation and cured the structure, we can then begin the reconstruction stages. We are a one stop shop to help locals avoid working with multiple vendors.
If you are in need of a professional to help you with your fire damages, you came to the right place. You can call always call us for any questions or concerns at
Looking for Fire Damage Services in Carson or Surrounding Areas?
Fire Damage Restoration Services
If you've just recently suffered damages due to a fire at your property, the time is ticking, you need to act fast and handle the damages to your property immediately. The goal is to avoid secondary damages and claim expenses.
If you're seeking an experience service provider that can help with a rapid response to help avoid business interruption, or simply get your family back in your home, you've came to the right place.
SERVPRO of Carson/ West Carson has helped numerous local residents with fire damage to their property. As a trusted service provider for all major insurance carriers, we can help you during this stressful time and make it "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO goes above and beyond to help homeowners/business owners when they need us most. Available around the clock, 365 days out of the year, we are set and ready to respond with the best team in town, ensuring the best recovery services that you deserve.
We can be reach 24/7 @ (310) 637-7701
4th of July Firework Safety for Pets
Pet Safety Tips
As we get closer to our Independence Day, its important to understand the stress that our pets go through every year on 4th of July.
Some of us may love the bright lights and loud explosions from fireworks, our pets HATE IT ! They suffer and stress out tremendously every year around 4th of July. Its important that we as pet owners take responsibility and look out for our furry friends.
Helpful Tips to Help our Pets During This Years Independence Day.
Loud explosions can cause your pet to stress out and possibly run away. keep them in your room with the TV on to help block out the loud explosions.
Toys, treats, soothing music, are all great ideas that you can have for your pet while having them inside your home during the celebration. Keep them occupied.
Try and get your pet tired earlier in the day so that they can be well rested during the night. Taking them on a early walk or hike might do the trick.
- MICROCHIP/ID TAG YOUR PETS
Make sure ID tags and microchips are all updated with the right contact information in case your pet runs away.
More pets go missing on 4th of July than any other day out of the year. Lets make sure we do our part and stay prepared. SERVPRO of Carson/ West Carson are huge animal lovers, we try to encourage our community to stay ready with their pets.
Soot Cleanup Services In Los Angeles California
Soot Damage Cleanup
SERVPRO has been in the fire damage restoration industry for more than 50 years and counting. We know a thing or two when it comes to Fire/Smoke/Soot damage cleanup and restoration.
We know the health concerns that come along when dealing with smoke and soot damages, that's why its important to hire a company like SERVPRO who carries several products specifically designed to remove smoke odors, and soot particles inside your properties.
What is Soot?
You got two different types of soot: You got your dry powdery soot and then you got your oily soot which is a lot harder to remove.
Soot is a black flaky/oily powdery substance that forms through incomplete combustion. There are several techniques that need to be applied in order to safely remove soot particles from your property. This would be a job for a certified professional to ensure the best results.
Fire/Smoke/Soot Damage Estimates Available
If you had an incident and need assistance with Fire/Smoke/Soot damages in the Los Angeles County area, call us at (310) 637-7701 for more information. (We work with insurance if needed)
Get 24/7 Fire Damage HELP With SERVPRO!
Our team at SERVPRO of Carson/West Carson is ready to respond when you need us most! Dealing with a fire can have you go through many emotions. You can be feeling hopeless, concerned, scared, sad, and the list goes on.
This is why its important to hire the right company to help you get your property back to preloss condition. Working with a restoration company like SERVPRO is key to proper restoration and reconstruction services.
Our track record of results has earned us the trust with most major insurance carriers. SERVPRO of Carson/West Carson will help you with your insurance claim, from getting in contact with your adjuster, to providing a plan of action, and submitting an itemized estimate to help get the restoration process rolling. We are here for our community when you need us most!
Residential/Commercial Fire Damage HELP (310)637-7701
Grease Fire: How To Properly Handle a Grease Fire in Your Kitchen
Cooking at home with your family or loved ones is a great time but can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. As a matter of fact, cooking causes over 160,000 structure fires annually. Cooking is considered the number one cause of home fires and home injuries. Often, these fires are set because of grease fires in the kitchen.
In an effort to keep your home and community safe, please share these tips with friends and family. Knowing how to respond quickly could be the difference between a minor kitchen fire and a devastating disaster.
If A Grease Fire Starts:
- Do not attempt to move the pot or pan outside.
- Do not try to extinguish the fire with water because it would only make it worse.
- Turn off the heat source
- Cover the flames with a metal lid or cookie sheet.
- If its a smaller fire, pour baking soda on top of fire.
- Call SERVPRO of Carson/ West Carson at 310- 637-7701 to help with your insurance claim and restoration work.
Fourth of July Safety
The Fourth of July is just around the corner and we know how much people love their fireworks! Here are some safety tips to make sure you have the best possible time without hurting anyone.
1. Make sure to check for firework bans in your city
2. Store all fireworks in a cool, dry place
3. Make sure the area is clear before shooting off any fireworks
4. Light one at a time and move away when it lights
5. Always have water at the ready
6. After ~20 minutes, soak firework duds in water before throwing them in the trash
If you follow these tips you have a much better chance of having a safe, fun time with your fireworks!
In the event of an emergency, be sure to have SERVPRO of Carson/ West Carson contact information at the ready.
We're here 24/7/365
Identifying Fire & Smoke Damage
SERVPRO of Carson/ West Carson 24 hour Water & Fire Damage Restoration Services
Fire damage can be a serious situation. Even if you aren't in the immediate area, be sure to inspect any affected areas for smoke residue. If not removed quickly, smoke particles can leave a lasting effect on your property.
There are multiple options to consider when restoring affected areas. For example, certain cleaning solutions are only applicable with specific surfaces or types of residue.
Be sure to contact your local SERVPRO franchise if you suspect any fire damage. It's best to trust these things with the professionals!
SERVPRO is also the preferred vendor for all major insurance carriers and can help with your insurance claim process. We work with all the local insurance adjusters, and have a great relationship with them to make sure you're not getting cheated.
You can be sure we'll make it...
"Like it never even happened"
Contact us today: 310-939-9293
With temperatures rising and an unprecedented situation going on throughout most major cities around the world, now is the perfect time to make sure your property is safe from fire damage.
The first step would be to locate any possibly flammable objects and move them to a secure location. This may seem obvious, but it can easily save your business or home from being completely destroyed.
Make sure your smoke detector and or fire alarm is working properly. And always have an escape plan in case of an emergency.
Sometimes these types of situations can be unavoidable, but you can always be prepared for the worst. Have your local SERVPRO at the ready so we can make it, "Like It Never Even Happened."
Call us at any time! We're open 24/7.
An Ounce of Prevention Versus a Pound of Cure
An ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure
God forbid.. But what if it happens?
In case of fire damage, SERVPRO is always here to help. Cleanup, deodorization and mitigation is our specialty. We make it easier for you to document, and stay in touch with your insurance company regarding the scope of the loss.
What can you do to prevent Fire?
Annual review of electrical wiring, gas lines, appliances, smoke detectors is a must.
review your insurance policy with your insurance agent to make sure you have adequate coverage for the building, upgraded flooring, kitchen cabinets, appliances, bathrooms , your furniture and other personal property.
Do you need extra coverage for specialty items like artwork, antiques, firearms, jewelry? These items need to be removed from the building before any cleanup work begins. It is better to have a plan of action ready. Prevention of fire is a must, because when it happens decision making is not so easy.
Ask about our emergency ready plan it's a great tool to have the action plan ready for just in case.
Call us at 310-637-7701 for more information on Emergency Ready Planning.
Shelter in Place, Fire Safety Project
Why would SERVPRO of Carson/ West Carson post a blog regarding fire damage prevention during the time of world wide disaster of COVID19?
Well, our IICRC certified technician, all of them equipped with PPE ( Protective Preventing Equipment) are on the field helping to clean home and businesses around the city of Carson and surrounding area to get rid of water damages, mold, bio-hazard and infectious disease traces inside homes and businesses.
But we at SERVPRO believe in Benjamin Franklin's famous quote: "An ounce of Prevention is worth a pound of cure"
This is the reason we would like to take this "Shelter in Place Opportunity" to remind our community members to get ready before disaster strickes.
- With nice amount of rain this year beautiful bushes and much greenery grew tall. Let's trim them adequately. So when the dry season comes dried vegetation are not around our properties.
- Replace batteries of all smoke detectors and alarms inside the building.
- while children are at home they may want to cook, or do crafts using appliances or tools that have fire hazard. check them, make sure they are adequately turning off and educate children to never forget to turn them off. This requires repetition, sometimes watching educational movies regarding fire hazard are the best way to teach them safety.
- Make sure your electrical wiring at home or at your business, as well as the gas lines and appliances, water heater, laundry dryer, cook top and oven are maintained and no leak is detected. Gas company and Edison both have free safety inspection services.
Additionally, Here is a link to FEMA 's Library for fire prevention
SERVPRO wishes all member of our community safety and wellness during this unprecedented time of cautiousness.
Please remember we are always here to help.
Firework Safety For Independence Day
It's that time of the season again... American Independence Day!
We celebrate American Independence Day on the 4th of July every year. We think of July 4th, 1776 as the day that represents the Declaration of Independence, the birth of the United States of America as an independent nation.
When celebrating with our family and friends, comes with the celebration of firing off fireworks! This can be a fun celebration with our loved ones, but can also be a very dangerous celebration if not careful.
Here are some tips to ensure safety when celebrating 4th of July and lighting off some fireworks...
- Be sure other people are out of range before lighting fireworks.
- Light only one firework at a time-and never re-light a "dud" firework.
- Never discharge fireworks in metal or glass containers.
- Be sure to have a responsible adult in charge at all times.
- Never allow children to play with fireworks.
- Always buy from an established retail outlet. (Please never buy illegal Fireworks)
- Never make your own fireworks, and be on the lookout for anyone experimenting with homemade fireworks
- (No piccolo Pete Bombs)
- Always read and follow the directions on the label.
- Light fireworks away from homes.
- Keep a bucket of water nearby at all times.
- The person discharging the fireworks should wear eye protection-and never have any part of their body over a firework.
Great news for California fire season safety! Thank you Pentagon!
Things will only get better for California!
Recent news regarding Pentagon agreement with State of California to prevent wildfires by allowing California National Guard to use unarmed drones to map fires 24/7 will for sure improve destructive events of fire season.
Governer of California Gavin Newsom said Monday that the Defense Department has agreed to provide information from a Cold War-era military satellite to help spot new wildfires.
The defense secretary also gave the California National Guard blanket approval through year’s end to use unmanned drones to map fires, count destroyed houses and spot survivors. The drones can peer through smoke, work at night and stay aloft much longer than manned aircraft.
Previously, state officials had to get separate federal approval each time they wanted to use the unarmed drones.
Additionally Californians can download the new application on their smartphones to get updates and prevention tips:
The “ Ready for Wildfire App” Features include:
- Taking charge of your Defensible Space
- Hardening your home
- Creating an evacuation and family communication plan
- Assembling an emergency supply kit
- Evacuating early!
Way to go California! We believe with these initiatives, we will be several steps closer to become a paradise again.
Commercial Fire? Let's get Back to Business Fast
When your commercial facility suffers fire damage, SERVPRO® will help you get back to your daily routine fast.
Business interruptions are expensive. SERVPRO of Carson has been helping businesses get back to life after disaster for over 15-years. We offer the following fire damage services:
- Roof Tarping: we will install a thick, weatherproof tarp over the damaged portions of your roof to prevent precipitation from coming in and causing secondary damage.
- Board Up: We will install temporary boards over damaged doors and windows to prevent precipitation from coming in and to deter possible break-ins.
- Temporary Fencing: we will install a temporary fence around the perimeter of your property to deter the public from entering sensitive areas.
- 24-Hour Security: if a board up can’t take place for any weather-related reason, we will install a security guard for your property until our crews can safely install them.
- Water Damage: a water damage occurs at most fires due to firefighting efforts. Standing water can cause secondary damage to your structure. We will extract all standing water to prevent further damage.
- Structural Cleaning & Deodorization: after the building is secure, we will begin the process of cleaning and deodorizing your property. Permanently damaged debris will be removed and all soot and smoke odor will be removed.
- Contents & Textile Cleaning: soot and smoke-affected contents and textiles can be cleaned and deodorized.
- Move-Out / Move-Back: if any contents need to be cleaned and deodorized and your structure is still not safe, we will transport the items back to our cleaning facility and then move them back.
- Storage Space: should your contents need temporary storage space, they will be stored in our warehouse until your property is safe again.
- Reconstruction: any structure that was permanently damaged removed can be replaced.
Call SERVPRO of Carson for information in regards to our "ERP" (Emergency Ready program) which helps with a rapid response, business interruptions, and claim expenses. SERVPRO offers this wonderful tool at no cost for a plan of action for your facility. Call us now (310) 637-7701
Hidden Smoke Damage and Odor
There are two different types of smoke to know about, wet and dry smoke...
As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. When you call SERVPRO of Carson/West Carson, we will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred.
After pretesting, the cleaning procedures will determine on the information identified before restoration begins.
Wet Smoke (Plastic and Rubber)
Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are a lot more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke (Paper and Wood)
Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
The Unique Behavior of Smoke
A fire loss can result in complex damages because of the unique behavior of smoke...
Our team at SERVPRO of Carson/West Carson have had countless encounters with different types of smoke damage. We know a thing or two on how to investigate how far smoke damage may have spread in your property. We know smoke can penetrate various cavities within the structure, causing hidden damage and odor.
Top 5 Fire Starters
1. Cooking Equipment
Pots and pans can overheat and cause a fire with a blink of an eye, if the person cooking gets distracted and leaves cooking unattended. Never leave your house with food cooking unattended.
Keep portable heaters at least 3 feet away from anything that could easily catch fire such as furniture, laundry, clother,etc... If you have a furnace, get it inspected once a year to make sure it is working to safety standards.
3. Smoking in Bedrooms
You are better off smoking outside, never make it a habit of smoking inside your home. A cigarette that is not put out properly can cause a flame, as the filter may stay lit for a few hours. It could burst into flames if it came in contact with flammable materials such as, furniture, carpet/rugs, clothing, etc... Did you know that fires started in the bedroom make up 73% of all house fire fatalities?
4. Electrical Equipment
An electrical appliance like a toaster can start a fire if its faulty or has a frayed cord. A power point that is overloaded with double adapter plugs can cause a fire from an overuse of electricity. A power point extension cord can also be a fire hazard if not used properly. Always double check these things just in case.
Candles look and smell pretty, but if left unattended they can cause a room to easily burst into flames. Keep candles far away from any flammable items such as carpet, clothing, paper goods, tissue boxes, or anything that can burst into flames rapidly. Always blow out the candle before leaving a room.
Fire: Life-Saving Tools
Living in Los Angeles with our busy schedules we tend to forget the importance of maintaining home/property maintenance. Since spring cleaning is in effect why not also replace batteries or install a smoke alarm unit. Check your state requirement or contact your local Fire Marshall to assure all codes are met.
In addition, another life-saving tool in any home or property is the portable fire extinguisher. To properly use the National Fire Protection Association suggest remembering P-A-S-S:
- Pull the pin-point nozzle away from you.
- Aim low- point nozzle at the base of the fire.
- Squeeze lever slowly and evenly.
- Sweep nozzle left to right.
These emergency life-saving tools will help assist you in any fire emergency. SERVPRO of Carson/West Carson can help prepare any property or home by planning a Fire Emergency Preparedness plan. For more info contact SERVPRO of Carson/West Carson at 310-637-7701.
Annual Community Night Out in Carson
United Force Against Crime & Violence
The Annual Committee Night Out is just around the corner!
Carson Sheriff’s Station personnel, the City of Carson, and the Community Advisory Committee invite you to participate in the 13th Annual Community Night Out, “March and Rally Against Crime and Violence.” The rally will be held on Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. This event will take place in front of the station located at 21356 South Avalon Boulevard, Carson, California.
The March and Rally will bring together business leaders, the community, and law enforcement, Carson firefighters, in a united force against crime and violence. The event will be a fun-filled evening of music, food, and entertainment.
Please contact Community Relations at
(310) 847-8386 with any questions.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Preparation To Avoid Fires
Stay Fire Ready
The 7 Ways to Prepare for a Home Fire
1.) Install the right number of smoke alarms. Test them once a month and replace the batteries at least once a year.
2.) Teach children what smoke alarms sound like and what to do when they hear one.
3.) Ensure that all household members know 2 ways to escape from every room of your home and know the family meeting spot outside of your home.
4.) Establish a family emergency communications plan and ensure that all household members know who to contact if they cannot find one another.
5.) Practice escaping from your home at least twice a year. Press the smoke alarm test button or yell “Fire“ to alert everyone that they must get out.
6.) Make sure everyone knows how to call 9-1-1.
7.) Teach household members to STOP, DROP and ROLL if their clothes should catch on fire.
What To Do if a Fire Starts
If a Fire Starts:
- Know how to safely operate a fire extinguisher
- Remember to GET OUT, STAY OUT and CALL 9-1-1 or your local emergency phone number.
- Yell "Fire!" several times and go outside right away. If you live in a building with elevators, use the stairs. Leave all your things where they are and save yourself.
- If closed doors or handles are warm or smoke blocks your primary escape route, use your second way out. Never open doors that are warm to the touch.
- If you must escape through smoke, get low and go under the smoke to your exit. Close doors behind you.
- If smoke, heat or flames block your exit routes, stay in the room with doors closed. Place a wet towel under the door and call the fire department or 9-1-1. Open a window and wave a brightly colored cloth or flashlight to signal for help.
- Once you are outside, go to your meeting place and then send one person to call the fire department. If you cannot get to your meeting place, follow your family emergency communication plan.
Staying Safe After a Disaster
Learn the steps to take during and after most disasters or emergencies to help ensure your family’s safety.
Check Your Home’s Safety
If you have had to evacuate, take the time to evaluate whether it's safe to enter when you are allowed to return home. You can call SERVPRO of Carson/West Carson to help restore your home after a fire (310) 637-7701
Find out about the special care you and your loved ones may need, long after the visible signs of the disaster have faded.
Get important information on how to manage the financial impact of disaster, from handling insurance claims to replacing vital documents that may have been lost.
Here are the 4 things you should do after a home fire.
- Call your insurance agent immediately. ...
- Ask about restoration companies that can help with cleaning up soot, boarding up windows, and other construction(SERVPRO...)
- Separate damaged property from undamaged property. ...
- Save undamaged property from further destruction
Firefighters Did Their Job: Now What?
Dont Play With Fire
After the fire trucks leave, your home likely suffers from fire and smoke damage and extensive water damage from firefighting efforts. SERVPRO of Carson/West Carson has specialized fire restoration training needed to restore your home to pre-fire condition.
Have Questions About Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage? Call Today –(310) 637-7701
Every fire damage event is a little different, and requires a unique solution, but the general process stays the same. The steps listed below illustrate our process for the “typical” fire damage emergency.
Step 1: Emergency Contact
The restoration process begins when you call us. Our representative will ask questions regarding the fire damage event that will help us respond immediately with the appropriate equipment and resources.
Step 2: Inspection and Fire Damage Assessment
We carefully inspect and test all rooms of your property to determine the extent of the fire, smoke, and soot damage. This step is crucial to developing a plan of action.
Step 3: Immediate Board-Up and Roof-Tarp Service
Fire damage can often compromise windows, walls, and roofs. To maintain security and to protect against further damage, we can board up missing windows and walls and place tarps on damaged roofs.
Step 4: Water Removal and Drying (if water damage is present)
The water removal process begins almost immediately and removes the majority of the water. We then use dehumidifiers and air movers to remove the remaining water and complete the drying process.
Step 5: Removal of Smoke and Soot from All Surfaces
We use specialized equipment and techniques to remove smoke and soot from ceilings, walls, and other surfaces.
Step 6: Cleaning and Sanitizing
We clean, sanitize, and disinfect all of the restorable items and structures that were damaged by the fire. We use a variety of cleaning techniques to restore your belongings to pre-fire condition. We’re also trained to remove odors using industrial air scrubbers and fogging equipment.
Step 7: Restoration
Restoration is the final step—getting your home or business to its pre-fire condition. Restoration may involve minor repairs, such as replacing drywall, painting, and installing new carpet; or it may entail major repairs such as the reconstruction of various areas or rooms in a home or business.
“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure - Benjamin Franklin
God forbid.. but what if it happens to a homeowner or a business. Are you ready?
In case of fire damage, we are always here to help. The cleanup, deodorization and mitigation is our speciality and we can make it like it never even happened. Keep our phone number in your emergency contact list.
What can be done by any homeowner or business?
Annual review of electrical wiring, gas lines, appliances, smoke detectors is a must.
review your insurance policy with your insurance agent to make sure you have adequate coverage for the building, any betterment, your furniture and other content.
do you need extra coverage for speciality items like artwork, antiques, firearms,jewelry? These items need to be removed from the building before any cleanup work begins. Better have
Have a protocol ready. It's the best prevention, because when it happens decision making is not so easy.
Ask about our emergency ready plan.
SERVPRO of Carson/ West Carson is here to help.