Controlling MOLD in your Residential Home/Commercial Facility
Mold cannot be completely removed. It is a natural part of our environment and exists in microscopic spores. Many restoration businesses advertise "mold removal" and even guarantee to remove all mold. This isn’t possible. What you are going to be doing, instead, is removing the triggers in your home that cause mold that causes large amounts of mold growth.
Where Mold is Likely to Grow
Mold is likely to grow in places that are dark,warm,and humid places. These places include kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry rooms. It’s also likely to grow in places that have previously had a water damage that wasn’t dried properly. If you smell something musty in the air or see black spots growing on your walls, you may have mold.
How to Control Mold Growth
- Fix anything that is leaking. That includes pipes, windows, and roofs. A leaking structure or pipe that isn’t fixed will eventually cause mold growth and damage the structure that is absorbing its moisture. Most people discover a leaking roof or pipe when they see secondary damage to their home, like a small pool of water on the floor or a water spot on their ceiling.
- Control the humidity in your home. Mold likes to grow in high humidity. An appropriate humidity level for your home is 40-50% Relative Humidity (RH). In the winter months, it may be lower than 40% RH. You can purchase a home hygrometer (a humidity meter) and temperature gauge at your local home and hardware store or online for less than $10.
- Ventilate humid areas. Humid areas in homes are typically the kitchen, shower, and laundry areas where warm water is used. After doing any of these activities, turn on your ventilation fan.
- Hire an experienced and proven water damage cleanup company. If your property experiences flooding, hire a company with a record of successfully cleaning water damages from properties. This company should extract water and monitor your property as it dries. Ask for documentation to verify your structure has been properly dried.
If you find or suspect mold growing in your home, call us. We will assess your property and, if anything is found, remediate your mold and help you find the cause of the mold and fix it.
SERVPRO of Carson/West Carson has over 15 years of experience mitigating water, fire, and mold damages. We are a licensed mold contractor and respond 24/7 every day of the year. Call us for any questions or concerns (310) 637-7701